Diagnostic Manual, Body and Accessories,
|| 16.1 Airbag (AB) > 11 Diagnosis - Function Test (driver-side or driver/passenger-side airbag)
Diagnosis - Function Test (driver-side or driver/passenger-side airbag)
Risk of Injury when performing Diagnostic Tests and repairs on components of the SRS system.
Store both airbags and side airbags with opening surface pointing upward.
Do not expose to temperatures above 100°C.
Interrupt any electrical current from reaching the airbag unit.
Risk of injury if airbag units and ETR units are ignited accidentally or if stored with the opening end facing downward which may cause the accidentally ignited components to fly about causing injury. Danger to persons also exists if the components are disposed of by cutting apart with cutting torches or other cutting/separation devices. Danger also exists if disposing the untriggered units via refuse collection or via smelting/carbonizing companies.
- Place removed airbag unit with the opening side facing upward.
- Allow only properly trained dealer staff to supervise, purchase, transport, store, test/replace any of the SRS components.
- Install all airbag or ETR units once pulled from the parts department.
- Protect all airbag or ETR units from any sparks, open flame, or temperatures above 100°C.
- Do not transport airbag or ETR units in the passenger compartment, rather transport securely in their original packaging in the trunk.
- Do not allow oil, grease or cleaning agents come in contact with the airbag or ETR units
- Perform SRS tests only with approved test equipment (such as HHT), while installed in the vehicle without occupants.
- When reconnecting the vehicle battery or any outside electrical source, with the ignition turned ON, do not allow any occupants inside the vehicle.
- Airbag or ETR units which have been dropped from a height greater than 18 inches must be replaced.
- Prior to disposing the airbag or ETR units, the units must be made un-useable by discharging.
- In order to render the airbag and ETR unit un-useable, the specially made discharge harness must be used and at the same time maintain
a safe distance of at least 33 feet from the units being discharged.
Prior to undertaking any chassis/body repairs, installation/repair work on airbag and ETR units, or any components which come in contact with the airbag and ETR units, or are part of the electrical circuit of airbag and ETR units (such as installation of the steering wheel), the following conditions must be met:
- Remove ignition key.
- Disconnect any outside source of electrical circuit (i.e. battery charger).
- When performing interior repairs or welding operations, disconnect the connector from the SRS control module.
|Diagnosis - Function Test (driver-side or driver/passenger-side airbag)
|Test step/Test sequence
||Possible cause/Remedy 1)
|1.0 Supplemental Restraint System
||Ignition key in position "1"
||SRS malfunction indicator lamp (A1e15) comes on for approximately 4 seconds
| 12 DTC Memory
|1) Observe Preparation for Test, see 22.